Open MOV File
File extension MOV is most commonly associated with a QuickTime Video Clip, a multimedia container file format developed by Apple. MOV files use a proprietary compression algorithm, and are compatible on both Windows and Mac platforms. Though much less common, the MOV file extension is also used to denote an AutoCAD AutoFLIX animation movie.
QuickTime MOV files are capable of storing two or more tracks, which can be audio, video, text, graphics or effects, making them suitable for a wide variety of applications, including video editing. Each track comprises either of an encoded media stream or a reference to a media stream located in another file, which allows the embedding of existing media.
AutoFLIX MOV files are used to store animations and basic presentations, and are essentially a sequential list of commands that are run in the AutoCAD editor in order to display an animated sequence. AutoFLIX was developed to take advantage of the 3D functionality of AutoCAD Release 10, which was released in 1988. Full 3D rendering was also possible with the addition of AutoSHADE.
QuickTime Player can be used to open and play back existing QuickTime MOV files, whilst QuickTime Pro can be used to edit and export MOV files. QuickTime Pro also allows MOV files on the web to be saved locally, a feature not always available with the basic QuickTime Player. QuickTime Alternative is a codec pack developed by a third party which can open MOV files in other media playing software such as Media Player Classic. However, as this is not licensed by Apple, it is possible that not all of the features of MOV files are supported.
You can open AutoFLIX MOV files using either AutoFLIX and AutoCAD, or the AFEGA presentation program, both of which require a DOS platform or emulator to run on.
Open MOV File on Windows OS
- Find a MOV file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the MOV file in question.
- If you know the application which can open MOV file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open MOV file then try to search for "MOV wiki", "application to open MOV file" or "MOV file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open MOV file
Rate this page: 4/5 based on 20 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open MOV files, file extension mov and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...